Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Eyre Affair - by Kelly

Well, I have to agree that the book was rather confusing with the alternate universe - wars going on, etc. But I came to a completely different conclusion! I loved it! I like weird stuff like this, and I have to admit I really like how much shorter and lighter it was than books we've read before. One thing I'd not noticed, but my dad caught when I had him read it, was that there'd been a German occupation of England in this universe before they dealt with Hitler. Scary to contemplate! I think, too, that the reason they kept using the airships was just because people liked them - though I think the author was just trying for an oddity, the balance between new technology and old technology.

I really loved all the literary references - the WillSpeak machines, the Richard III play (sounds like fun! Wish I could attend!), Baconians, etc. I just like the idea of a world where literature is such a big part of life. I have never read Martin Chuzzlewit, so all that went entirely over my head, and, like Aunt Annette mentioned, if you hadn't read Jane Eyre (or at least seen the movie), a lot of that would go over peoples' heads too.

I loved all the inventions that her uncle came up with and the bookworms were fascinating. Wouldn't it be fun to jump into a favorite book!? Not to mess with the storyline, but it see it happen? Like the Japanese lady taking people there on tours... too cool.

Overall, I realize it's no great work of literature and has nothing really meaningful to take to heart, but I loved it and plan to buy all the sequels. One quote I really liked -

"...when my mind was young and the barrier between reality and make-believe had not yet hardened into the shell that cocoons us in adult life. The barrier was soft, pliable and, for a moment, thanks to the kindness of a stranger and the power of a good storytelling voice, I made the short journey - and returned."

I love the idea of a mind being young that accepts so many things as real - fairies, monsters and Santa Claus. And I especially like the idea that, if your mind is young, you can transport yourself into books you love - imagination and all that. :o)

2 comments:

Keri said...

I also liked the Richard III play concept where the audience knows it so well that they create it themselves each evening. That would be interesting to see. :)

Annette said...

When you look at the reviews on Goodreads it is interesting because readers either loved it or really didn't love it. And those who loved it tend to be readers who like the genre of writing. So I can appreciate your views on the book and why you liked it. I was ultimately glad I had read it (partially because the end of the book was the strongest for me) but there really were times that if this hadn't been a book club book I would have set it down and passed it on to a friend who likes sci fi/time travel. One reason I like book groups...helps me experience genres outside of my norm. Glad you liked the book.