Thursday, December 11, 2008

My favorites for 2008

Here is my list of my favorite books that I read in 2008 (just a few more than the target number of 10). What are yours?

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Anne Shaffer

The Sacred Willow: Four Generations in the Life of a Vietnamese Family: Duong Van Mai Elliott

Queenof the Road : The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of its Own by Doreen Orion

The Glass Castle: A Memoir, by Jeannette Walls

Jacob's Ladder: A Story of Virginia During the War by Donald McCaig

China, Inc: How the Rise of the Next Superpower Challenges America and the World, by Ted C. Fishman

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer

Catfish and Mandala: A Two Wheeled Voyage through the Landscape and Memory of Vietnam by Andrew X. Pham

Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl

Roar of the Heavens: Surviving Hurricane Camille, Stefan Bechtel

Cross Creek, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Dragonfly in Amber, Diana Gabaldon.

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

1 comment:

Keri said...

I haven't read the Guernsey Literary... book, but loved a quote that someone posted on your other online book club with Jennie & Aunt Laurie and posted it on my blog - about how books lead to new books.

I loved Queen of the Road and have so enjoyed chatting online with Doreen Orion. I'm giving her book to two book-loving friends for Christmas.

I also read The Glass Castle either this year or last and enjoyed it as well.

I loved Garlic and Sapphires and several other books by Ruth Reichl, but that one is my favorite of hers.

Thanks for sharing...good idea! :)